Ladies 2nds v Cambridge City 2 D 0-0

Following on from last week’s narrow defeat at Canterbury, the ladies were keen to build on that fine display at home against Cambridge City who also suffered an opening day defeat.On a perfect day for hockey down at the Nest, both teams came out and “Got in each others faces ” so to speak, trying to establish an early lead in the game.
The Magpies high press was working well causing City to turn the ball over in their defensive area on a number of occasions. One of these turnovers resulted in a Penalty Corner for Magpies on 15 minutes which Tibbenham forced a fine save from the visitors keeper. The only thing lacking during this period was the killer pass in the final 3rd to allow us to carve out some opportunities on goal.Cambridge were playing their part in an open game, constructing some good moves and looked lively in our defensive 3rd and it needed a fine save from Daly to keep out an angled drive just before the break.
Magpies were awarded another Penalty Corner as the half-time whistle blew but sadly never got a shot on goal so the half finished scoreless.
Cambridge made a tactical change at half-time resulting in a really high press that allowed them to dominate possession and get a grip on the game.They were looking dominant but the Ladies dug in all over the park to try an contain wave after wave of City attacks. In truth,other than a couple of Penalty Corners for City, the defensive trio of Steggles, Herscel-Shorland and Johnson allowed them very few clear sights of goal. Likewise the tireless midfield work of Howland, Maciver, Seaman and Locke was equally impressive.
During this period, we looked a threat on the break with M.O.M Ridley continuing to make impressive breaks down the right. The trio of Warnes, Child and Eglington also gave us good energetic options down the flanks. The front 3 of Tibbenham, Stott and Wiseman were causing the visitors problems as a result and only a couple of last ditch tackles stopped us getting in on goal.
Inspired by this defensive effort, we then took the game back to City in the last 15 minutes and started to push hard for the winner.The ball flashed across the City area on a few occasions as we piled on the pressure. A flurry of late Penalty corners offered opportunities to score but we were thwarted by a couple of decent saves or a good piece of Cambridge defending.
A very good display by Magpies once again and its fair to say a draw was a fair result for both sides in a keenly contested game 

Next week we travel to Broxbourne for a 3.30pm start