There were several ‘firsts’ last Saturday with, arguably, the most notable being the first goal for five years by Rob Goodson! I’m sorry to say I arrived too late at Weybread to see this special achievement (and subsequent celebration) but I have it on unimpeachable authority that it was the vital and match clinching seventh goal (!) in the 3rds 10-1 victory over Sudbury 2nds. Nearly lost in all the excitement were Matt Brand’s five goals as he took advantage of Martin Field’s promotion to the 2nds to regain the side’s top scorer spot!
Other ‘firsts’ were the first wins of the season for the Men’s Veterans who beat Bury St Edmunds 2-0 and for the Men’s 4ths who defeated Norwich Dragons 2nds 9-3 and Angie Wheelhouse’s first hat trick of the season. And what a hat trick it was as the Ladies’ 1sts beat St Albans 5-1 in front of an appreciative home crowd. Angie’s first goal was a deft deflection at a penalty corner, the second a crunching reverse stick shot from the top of the circle and the third a superb strike from the left high into the top of the net. This treble takes Angie to seven goals for the season one ahead of the in-form Cherry Seaborn – who scored the other two fine goals – and to the top spot amongst the league’s leading goalscorers. This was an excellent win for the squad especially as they were without Anna Toulson through illness and Artemis Clark due to a back injury.
The Men’s 2nds were also in fine form at Weybread with a 7-2 win over Cambridge Nomads to take them to the top of their league. Did I see another well directed mishit finishing in the back of the net? If so long may it continue Robbie! Meantime the Men’s 5ths were unlucky to go down to a controversial 3-2 defeat against North Walsham 2nds. With the number of members in the club this team should not be struggling to find enough players every week and it is to the credit of Richard Allcock and Jordan Ball that they are managing to field a team each Saturday.
The Men’s 1sts, after their narrow defeat at top of the table Canterbury, have this weekend off as do the Ladies’ 1sts, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and Development while the Ladies’ 2nds, who were unlucky to only draw 2-2 away to Norwich City last Saturday, entertain Long Sutton (12.30). Other matches at home on Saturday are – 10.30 Men’s 4ths v Lowestoft Town, 2.15 Ladies’ 6ths v Thetford 2nds and 4.00 Men’s 6ths v Pelicans 3rds. Good luck to all our teams in action on Saturday.
News and comments in brief
· Last Saturday’s Curry-Oke Night was a great success and thanks are due to everyone who supported the event (we had a really good turnout) and to the members who provided the excellent curries. As for the singing the club clearly has a lot of hidden talent as typified by the several appearances at the microphone of the captain of the Men’s 6ths!
· Well done to Beeston and East Grinstead who have joined Reading in the next round of the EuroHockey League.
· If you are interested in hockey and stamps I recommend Dil Bahra’s excellent website www.hockeyonstamps.com. Dil is secretary of the Hockey Writers’ Club and has served as press officer at several international hockey tournaments.
· England Hockey has had a change of mind and from 1 November 2009 an adapted version of the self-pass at free hits and re-starts will apply in all mini hockey competitions.
· England Hockey has also announced that there are ‘some very significant changes’ to the indoor rules with effect from 1 November 2009. These include time-outs for teams and a self-pass option at a free push. Copies of the FIH Rules of Indoor Hockey 2009 are available from www.englandhockey.co.uk/umpiring.
· The England Senior Masters Divisional Tournament for players between the ages 50 – 55 will be held at Beeston HC on May 1-2 2010. Players wishing to attend the trials for the East Men’s team are asked to contact Brian Roberson at email@example.com.
· Tickets for the Harleston Fireworks Spectacular (Friday 6 November – gates open 6.00pm) are available from the clubhouse bar. Please come!
With kind regards and best wishes Mike Denham 01603 506925 MDenham975@aol.com 27/10/09