GOOD RESPONSE FROM 1ST TEAMS
Both 1sts teams responded well last weekend to their disappointments of a week earlier. The Ladies won an away point at Trojans in the Slazenger EHL Division One following their home defeat by Sunderland and the Men beat Dereham with a late penalty stroke to remain one point behind league leaders Cambridge University who denied them an East Premier A win with virtually the last hit of the game the previous week.
Division One remains a very topsy-turvy league so there is plenty for the Ladies to play for over the last six games of the season whether they look above or below them and the Men will be hoping for a slip-up by Cambridge University while maintaining their own form.
I hope as many members as possible will be able to get to Weybread this Sunday (18 February) to cheer on our teams in the following national cup matches.
U15 Girls v Chelmsford
12 noon (tbc)
Mixed v Havering
U18 Girls v Canterbury
In view of the collision on the road outside the club last Saturday I take this opportunity to remind members to exercise great care when leaving the car park. Fortunately no-one was badly injured but the car which came down the hill looked destined for the scrapheap following the accident.
Despite a disappointingly low turn-out for the recent Race Night the event was very enjoyable and still made a net profit of £550. I am very grateful to all who attended and/or supported the event financially including Les and Irene Bicker, Val and Sue Tolhurst and Graham Clarke for sponsoring three of the races and Robbie Kinsella for auctioning the runners for the last race which raised the excellent sum of £120. My thanks also to Jose Tibbenham, James and Sally Smith, Debbie McAllen, Dave Francis, Philippa Taylor and Emma Lacey for helping to run the event.
I urge all members to support the following social and fund raising events starting with the Karaoke Evening on 17 March.
Saturday 17 March
‘Stars In Your Eyes’ Karaoke Evening and Spring Prize Draw
April End of Season Party (Apollo Club)
Six evenings of mixed hockey
Sunday 1 July
Strawberry Luncheon at Gawdy Hall
by kind permission of Mr and Mrs David Green
Thursday 23 August
Golf Day (Bungay GC)
Friday 2 November
Please see website and the clubhouse notice board for more information.
Did you know?
1. Carl Sitch has this week been playing for England U18s at Belle Vue, Manchester in a series of matches against Ireland. Congratulations Carl!
2. The men’s veterans are through to the Last 8 of their national cup after edging out City of Peterborough last Sunday 5-4 on penalty strokes after a late goal to draw 1 – 1.
3. The chairman still continues to pick up a considerable amount of discarded bottles none of which have been dropped by him!
4. After their win over Cambridgeshire Nomads the U18 Boys are away to Belper on Sunday 4 March in the fourth round of their England Hockey national cup competition. Good luck!
5. Richard Gill, who remains a keen Magpie despite moving out of the area and who helped with some coaching earlier in the season, is running in the London Marathon on Sunday 22 April in aid of the Anthony Nolan Trust. If you wish to support Richard please go to www.justgiving.com and type in his type as directed for his site.
HAVE YOU SOLD YOUR SPRING PRIZE DRAW TICKETS YET PLEASE? IF SO – THANK YOU.
IF NOT YOUR SUPPORT OF THIS IMPORTANT FUND RAISER WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE PLEASE.
‘Stars In Your Eyes’ Karaoke Evening
SATURDAY 17 MARCH – 7.30PM
PLEASE COME ALONG AND EXERCISE YOUR VOCAL CHORDS –
OR AT LEAST COME TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE RUINING A SONG OR TWO!
Tickets £5 each (£2.50 for U18s) Nibbles provided!
I wish all our teams the best of luck in the remaining weeks of the season.
Mike Denham (Chairman)
Tel: 01603 506925
15 February 2007