EXCITING END TO SEASON ASSURED
We are assured of an exciting last few weeks to the season starting this Saturday (10 March) when the Ladies’ 1sts play University of Birmingham away before entertaining Loughborough Students the following week. All three teams are battling to avoid the relegation play-off spot in Slazenger EHL Division One with Magpies just three points above Birmingham and Loughborough. The Ladies will be encouraged by their excellent performance last week against Clifton when they gained what could turn out to be a vital point. After the games against the students the team plays what we all hope will be their last game of the season away to league leaders Barnes Hounslow Ealing.
The excitement is not confined to league action as the club is still involved in four national cups. This Sunday (11 March) the Men’s Veterans are away to Stourport in the quarter-finals of the veterans’ cup and a week later the Mixed team entertain Tulse Hill and Dulwich (12 noon) in the national trophy followed at 2.00pm by the U18 Girls taking on Olton & West Warwicks in the quarter-finals of their national cup. That is not all! On Sunday 22 April the U18 Boys play Canterbury at home in the quarter-finals of their event.
To get both our U18 teams through to the last eight of their events is a marvellous achievement for the club. Well done to the girls for their late equaliser against Canterbury and subsequent penalty stroke win and to the boys for coming from behind to beat Belper away last Sunday.
HAVE YOU SOLD YOUR SPRING PRIZE DRAW TICKETS YET PLEASE?
IF SO – THANK YOU.
IF NOT YOUR SUPPORT OF THIS IMPORTANT FUND RAISER
WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
PLEASE LEAVE MONEY AND COUNTERFOILS WITH ROBERT, JULIE OR LAURA AT THE CLUBHOUSE BAR BY 4.00PM AT THE VERY LATEST ON SATURDAY 17 MARCH
I also urge all members to support the following social and fund raising events starting with the Karaoke Evening on 17 March.
Saturday 17 March
‘Stars In Your Eyes’ Karaoke Evening and Spring Prize Draw
April End of Season Party (Apollo Club)
Six evenings of mixed hockey
Sunday 1 July
Strawberry Luncheon at Gawdy Hall
by kind permission of Mr and Mrs David Green
Thursday 23 August
Golf Day (Bungay GC)
Friday 2 November
Please see website and the clubhouse notice board for more information.
You may have noticed that the Concert At The Hall scheduled for Saturday 14 July is missing from the above list of events. The organising committee has very reluctantly decided to cancel the event due to rising costs and the astonishing number of other events being held that day/night within easy travelling distance of Gawdy Hall.
Did you know?
1. Carl Sitch has been selected to play for England U18s in the Four Nations Tournament to be held at Exeter University over Easter. Congratulations Carl!
2. The chairman STILL continues to pick up a considerable amount of discarded bottles and other rubbish around the pitches and in the car park. Last week he even found a bottle in the middle of the sand-based pitch!!
3. The chairman is very grateful to all those members who agreed to play against Norfolk Nomads last Saturday when we were able to assemble a team from scratch at not much more than fifteen minutes notice to enable us to fulfil the Men’s 7ths friendly fixture. My thanks also to Kirstin Cumming for her help (including provision of the post-match tea) and to Mark Legg and Philip Cobbald for umpiring.
4. Very preliminary consideration is being given to prioritised clubhouse improvements including the provision of disabled access and toilet facilities. No final decisions have yet been made.
5. That congratulations are due to Heather and Matt Brand on the birth of Benjamin and to Sally and James Smith following the arrival of Jessica Grace.
‘Stars In Your Eyes’ Karaoke EveningSATURDAY 17 MARCH – 7.30PM
PLEASE COME ALONG AND EXERCISE YOUR VOCAL CHORDS –
OR AT LEAST COME TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE RUINING A SONG OR TWO!
Tickets £5 each (£2.50 for U18s) Nibbles provided!
I wish all our teams the best of luck in the remaining weeks of the season.
Mike Denham (Chairman)
Tel: 01603 506925
8 March 2007