Rosie’s Weekly Wrap Up 21st October 2017

The Men’s 1sts made up for a lacklustre performance last week with a rather convincing 8-0 win against Ipswich. Boosted by the inclusion of fan favourite Richard Larkin and Tim Whiteman’s first league appearance in a Magpie shirt for 12 years, Magpies started brightly with David Gilbert bagging the opening two goals. Whiteman opened his tally to make it 3-0 followed by Andrew Bedwell’s second goal of the season, before Sam Patterson added two more. Tim Whiteman and Archie Winter added another couple to round off a fine display and seal the score at 8-0.

The Ladies 1sts travelled to Chelmsford where they dominated the first half and came close on a couple of occasions before finally finding a break-through after good work from Lizzie Clymer led to a Magpies short corner which Katherine Ridley cooly dispatched. The second half was more end-to-end but the defence of Katherine Ridley, Jess Howland, Lucy Belsey, Louisa Greenacre and Charlotte Peet in goal, stood strong and soaked up any Chelmsford attacks in the final ten minutes resulting in the 1-0 win.

The Ladies play Wimbledon at home at 2pm on Saturday

The Men’s 2nds turned up to the game against Norwich City 2nds in high spirits after a fantastic performance last week. It was an end to end start however there were no real chances until the ball fell to Robbie Kinsella who crunched the ball unfortunately onto the post. After 10 minutes of nervy hockey a driven Matt Bensly won a foul which he took quickly leaving 4 of the opposition behind finding the in-form Jamie Legg who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner. 1-0 Magpies.


Magpies Ladies 2nds expected a tough battle when they hosted Colchester 1sts and were proved right when Colchester scored first. Angie Wheelhouse equalised only for the visitors to add another goal. Debbie Francis held the midfield well in the second half with Georgie Cantrell and Olivia Locke making some excellent runs. Angie roofed the ball passed the ‘keeper to take it to 2-2 before completing her hat trick and securing a 3-2 win. The seconds face Norwich City away next week in a top of the table clash.

When Norwich Dragons 1sts arrived at the Nest unbeaten this season the Men’s 3rds wanted to prove that they could play in this league. Gradually the Magpies midfield and forwards began to find some wriggle room, enabling Kieron Peters to beat the ‘keeper twice in quick succession. Dragons converted a short corner and started the second half strongly but were unable to break though the wall of black and white shirts. Captain Matt Brand set up Kieran for his hat tricky which Dragons responded by converting a short corner, only for Matt Brand to convert one himself and bag the first (and very satisfying) points of the season.

Magpies Men’s 4ths faced their biggest challenge of the season so far with the visit of unbeaten Ipswich 3rds. Chris Routs, making his debut in goal, calmly dealt with any threats and the Magpies midfield started to create chances, leading to Alex Kilbourn opening the scoring. Ipswich applied pressure which resulted in an equaliser. The game finished 1-1 thanks to a diving stick save from Routs.

The Ladies 4ths need to remain positive after being denied their first points of the season against Norwich Dragons 4ths. Janna Freeman opened the scoring for Magpies with a circa 1997 short corner conversion only for Dragons to score three times and take the game to 3-1. Despite the scoreline Magpies are improving week on week and with a more consistent squad, look forward to welcoming Dragons 3rds to the Nest after the half term break.

The Ladies 5th drew 0-0 with Beccles following a fine display by the Beccles ‘keeper and an out of character missed opportunity from Jose Tibbenham. The Men’s 5ths took 11 players to Bury and dominated the first half. With only 6 minutes left to play it looked at is both teams had settled for a draw but Magpies youngsters conjured up an opportunity for Angus Wilkinson to bounce on a loose ball in the D and put Magpies ahead. With only two minutes remaining Bury stole possession and final found a way past James Harvey in goal.