Harleston Magpies Men’s 1st team match report

Harleston Magpies 8 – Bishop Stortford 1

Harleston magpies stormed to a comprehensive 8-1 demolition on Saturday against a Bishop Stortford team who hadn’t picked up a point all season. The game started at a high intensity as Harleston asserted their dominance from the outset, the relenting pressure told as the home side broke the deadlock after just 4 minutes when Tristan Baynes struck home a fierce penalty corner drag flick which found its way through the keepers legs. Ten minutes later and an almost identical goal was scored by Baynes as he scored his second of the match again beating the keeper for pace.

Andy Hipwell then got his name on the score sheet with another drag flick goal, this time beating the keeper with disguise as he tucked the ball into the net low to the keeper’s right. Baynes got his hat-trick on 26 minutes as he hit a thunderbolt of a reverse stick strike low into the backboards from what appeared to be an impossible angle, his fourth of the match followed shortly, this time a good passing move starting from the back was moved up field and eventually found Baynes inside the attacking circle. Despite pressure from defenders and the keeper Baynes still had the composure to dribble the ball past the keeper and dispatch the ball into an empty net rounding off an excellent first half for the magpies.

Harleston started off the second half as they had ended the first, retaining possession of the ball and creating chances through slick passing moves. The sixth goal showed what Harleston are capable of doing, as a quick break down the left hand side saw an intricate 1-2 between Andy Hipwell and Simon Hipwell which eventually fell to the stick of Sam Moore whose crashed ball in once again fell to Baynes who spun round the keeper to get his fifth of the match. More chances came and went for Harleston including shots from Sam Moore and Tom Graham, both of which saw their shots expertly saved by the Stortford keeper who was now proving harder to beat as he on more than one occasion denied Tristan Baynes the chance of a double hat-trick.

Sam Moore decided to get in on the act as he picked the ball up at the top of the D, following another impressive passing move from Harleston, to round the keeper with ease before rolling the ball into an empty net to give Harleston their seventh goal of the game. The last of Harleston’s goals came with six minutes remaining as a break down the left wing saw a pin point pass find its way onto Tom Sumner’s stick who had made a decisive run from right back to the top of the attacking circle. Without a defender in sight he had enough time to pick his spot low to the left of the keeper which rounded off an impressive days scoring for Harleston.

Bishop Stortford did claim a very late consolation goal when another Harleston penalty corner was cleared to the Stortford attackers who took full advantage of their numerical supremacy to carve out an opening and score with the last hit of the game.

Man of the match went to Tristan Baynes whose goals helped the magpies to a high scoring win which sees them top of their league and in a good position to push on and hopefully gain promotion.