Harleston Magpies Mixed match report

Harleston Magpies Mixed started the defence of their National Mixed title today against local rivals Ipswich. Magpies had a changed squad with limited numbers due to other National commitments but with hard work and determination they were able to secure a place in the next round.

Magpies started the game well and there was some lovely link up play down the right hand side of the pitch through Tom Sumner, Matt Richardson, Lauren Mickleburgh, Frances Taylor and the forward line. This lead to chances starting to appear for Magpies but unfortunately these chances came and went as the Ipswich keeper made some good saves. Resolute defending from the back four and down the left of Katrina Sitch, James Meek and Robbie Kinsella were able to prevent any attacks getting into the Magpies D.

Magpies forwards were opening up the Ipswich defence and this soon led to a number of short corners. A strike from Katrina Sitch took a deflection that fell in to the path of ex-Ipswich player Matt Richardson who made sure to put Magpies ahead, the ex Ipswich player choosing not to celebrate. This spurred Ipswich on and they soon started to attack with their men at high pace, a high ball that hit Katrina Sitch allowed the hard working team to have a break and regroup. Further attacks were intercepted but one well worked move by Ipswich brought goal keeper Ewie Cumming into action after making a great initial save with his helmet Ewie charged down the player to make two further saves, another on his helmet, to keep the score 1-0 to Magpies as we went to half time.

Magpies again came out the stronger side in the second half and forced more chances up front, work from Lucy Whiting, Kara Kilbourn, Andy Hipwell and Robbie Kinsella were making chances up front with many balls going past the front of goal. One of these fell to Kara Kilbourn, after a long ball from Andy Hipwell was put in Kara Kilbourn’s path by Robbie Kinsella she was able to slot the ball home to make it 2-0. Simon Hipwell was placing his foot print on the game with his attacking runs from left to right but unfortunately these did not add to the goal tally. The attacks that did fall to Ipswich Lawrence Baynes and Iain Cumming were able to comfortably intercept. One of those interceptions lead to a quick break from Magpies down the right, Kara Kilbourn made a strong run and played a lovely ball across the D for Robbie Kinsella to tap in at the back post.

Ipswich soon started to push higher up the pitch and a momentary lapse which hadn’t been seen by the Magpies defence of Matt richardson, Tom Summner, Iain Cummings, Katrina Sitch and Frances Taylor made Ewie Cummings vulnerable and an Ipswich player was able to bring them a goal back. However, soon after, a dynamic run from Simon Hipwell beating many of the Ipswich players led to him being in the attacking circle, putting the ball onto his reverse stick Simon Hipwell struck the ball home to make it 4-1. Magpies were able to see out the game with some very tired legs.

A Magpies team with five woman and some men holding injuries and illness were able to demonstrate their team work and effort to ensure that’s Magpies continued the defence of the title. The mixed fun continues through to the next round where the team will hope to continue their defence.

Squad: Katrina Sitch, Ewie Cumming, Matt Richardson, Tom Sumner, Iain Cumming, Frances Taylor, Lauren Mickleburgh, Robbie Kinsella, Lawrence Baynes, James Meek, Simon Hipwell, Andy Hipwell, Lucy Whiting and Kara Kilbourn. Manager Sam Moore