Sunday 4 November saw Harleston Magpies youth hockey teams in action in the England Hockey Championships with U14 boys and girls, U16 boys and girls and U18 boys playing in matches. Alongside this, the men’s over 4os were also in winning action, and our u18 girls won their game as Norwich City were sadly unable to field a team.

The U16 boys travelled to Bishops Stortford with a strong squad determined to prove a point.
And prove it they did, winning 13 nil. The next match will be against Cambridge City on
18th November at home in Weybread. It was an impressive all round performance.

The U16 girls enjoyed a comfortable victory at home to Pelicans. A goal in the first minute set the tone for what became a good all round team performance. All 16 girls had good time on the pitch and with some lovely flowing moves found themselves 6 0 up at half time. The team kept the tempo high and slotted in another 10 goals in the second half, with the final result a very impressive 16 nil.

Manager James Cantrell said: ‘Stiffer tests will inevitably come, but that shouldn’t detract from the excellent pace and movement our U16 girls showed in this match. All the girls played well and the goals where shared throughout much of the team. Pelicans battled hard showing commitment from the first whistle to the last, but on this occasion, our Magpies girls were on top form.’ Their next encounter is away at Hertford hockey club on Sunday 18th November

The u14 girls were also celebrating a home win with a final score of 7 1 against Ipswich hockey club. Although the first half was a little sticky, this was the first proper outing for this new team, and coach Jim Menzies was pleased saying: ‘I was impressed with the way everyone adapted their mentality and produced a really good second half display. We learnt a great deal and look forward to the next game against IES on the 18th November.’

The Magpies u18 boys had a tougher time of it away to Dragons hockey club in Norwich. The match began strongly with good passages of play on and off the ball and our defence played with some determination. Magpies gained the first penalty corner and Raunaq Rai scored first with a drag flick going top right corner of the net within the first 15 minutes. Magpies then defended six short corners in the first half of the match from a determined Dragons side and some great saving from our goalkeeper Ollie Juszt kept the score 1-0 to Magpies up until half time.  After half time, Dragons scored an unexpected, fast-paced goal within minutes to equalise the match and then Dragons took a short corner and scored to make it 2-1, with the final score 1-3 to Dragons. Coach Tim Whiteman said: ‘The boys should be very proud of their play without any practice together as a team ahead of the match and showed a very good attitude throughout the game.’

All the teams are looking forward to their next matches on 18 November.