Match Report – Mixed – Sunday 26 April 2015


On an overcast but dry day Harleston enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half of this 4th round game in the national mixed trophy competition. Wisbech looked to hit Harleston on the break as the away team looked for the breakthrough with the opening goal. James Meek went closest first when his open stick effort was deflected over the bar by his team mate Ben Wright. Next up it was Simon Hipwell who went close when his first shot was well saved by the goalkeeper only for the rebound to fall to Hipwell again as he rounded the stricken keeper but his shot hit Martin Fields with the goal at his mercy. As Andrew Bedwell helpfully pointed out it would have been easier to pass to one of the players on the post.

Matt Collinge was called into action midway through the first half when he had to save smartly from close range following a Wisbech interception.

More chances came and went as Harleston continued to probe for the opener, Richard Larkin narrowly missing connecting with a volley at the back post after out muscling Ben Wright for the ball. Harleston finally found the breakthrough in the 31st minute when Toby Price found Ben Wright who’s miss-hit reverse stick shot cannoned in off the underside of the bar.

After a stern talking to from manager Sam Moore at half time about using the full width of the pitch and being more clinical in the circle the team took to the pitch again.

Harleston didn’t heed their manager’s words and soon narrowly missed a clear chance as Lizzie Clymer fired wide following a slick passing move. With the manager pulling his hair out Magpies soon made it 2-0 when Maria Andrews converted from a penalty corner with a powerful drag flick. It was soon 3-0 when Katrina Sitch received the ball on the right of a short corner routine and her powerful slap hit nestled in the bottom corner of the goal. Ben Wright soon grabbed his second following a dynamic run by James Meek who goose stepped the last defender to fire across goal for Wright to deflect in from in front of the keeper. Lucy Whiting soon made it 5-0 following in closely from a ball across the D to slot home from close range.

As the tackles started to fly in from Wisbech Harleston were soon awarded a penalty stroke as James Meek was brought down in the circle. Maria Andrews fired home for her second of the game. Maria completed her hat-trick when Leigh Sitch carried to the T-spot and drove to the baseline before playing the ball across to Maria to score from close range.

Lizzie Clymer then made it 8-0 following a good run down the right from Amy Campbell. The quick youngster fed Clymer who made space for herself at the top of the circle before wrong footing the goal keeper and smashing the ball home. Harleston were then awarded their second stroke of the game when James Meek was fouled again in the circle, this time it was Lauren Barber who dispatched an emphatic stroke. Frances Taylor nearly slotted home at the end but her shot was smartly saved by the goal keeper.

Harleston will wait to see who they face in the Quarter Finals of the competition on the 17th May.